Hi everyone.

I wanted to get some feedback from the community on some ideas I had
for Google Summer of Code projects.  For the following ideas, I want
to know if you

- think that it is within the scope of the SymPy project enough for us
to support it,

- think that it is doable as a GSoC project (i.e., it isn't too much
or too little work to complete over a summer), and

- are able to mentor it, or think that we can find someone who can.

For some of these, I'm pretty sure that if we put them on our ideas
list that there's a high chance that we will get proposals to do them,
which is why I'm asking here about them first.

Here are my ideas:

1. Some of you may have noticed that WolframAlpha recently released a
big update.  You can now pay them and get a bunch of features.  They
also do things like save your search history.

Our competition to WolframAlpha is SymPy Live
(http://live.sympy.org/).  Also, a while back, Ondrej whipped up a
thing called SymPy Gamma (http://gamma.sympy.org/), which is a little
closer to WolframAlpha.

The GSoC project would be to improve one or both of these things.
SymPy Gamma could be improved a lot, by making it more intelligent
about what output it produces for different inputs, making it parse
expressions that aren't given in exact SymPy syntax, making it produce
plots, perhaps replacing the notebook with an IPython notebook.  SymPy
Live could use a lot of the same features.

2. Write a mobile app for Android and/or iOS.  Other app developers
have already demonstrated that it's possible to run SymPy natively on
both of these operating systems.  The project would be to write an app
that gives a nice interface to it.  One thing that could be done would
be to make a soft keyboard that is conducive to math input (similar to
what WolframAlpha has for their mobile apps).  If there are issues
with running SymPy on the device itself, we could make the app to just
be a nice interface to SymPy Live/Gamma.

My main concern with this project is mentors.  I don't feel that I
know C, Objective-C, Java well enough to mentor a student doing this.
Does anyone here feel that they do?

3. Some kind of equation editor.  This idea is still vague.  It could
be considered part of a mobile app interface, part of a potential
desktop app interface, or even a terminal curses interface. I just
feel that more users would be attracted to SymPy if it had some kind
of 2d equation editing capabilities.

I'm also interested how you feel about whether or not this fits within
the scope of the SymPy project.  Most of this wouldn't involve any
changes to SymPy itself, other than bug fixes (though things like
improved parsing for SymPy Gamma would go there).  I personally feel
that they do, especially the first two, and that their existence would
greatly help expand SymPy's user base, but I think that the community
should decide.