Em 12-02-2012 04:34, Aaron Meurer escreveu:
Hi everyone.

2. Write a mobile app for Android and/or iOS.  Other app developers
have already demonstrated that it's possible to run SymPy natively on
both of these operating systems.  The project would be to write an app
that gives a nice interface to it.  One thing that could be done would
be to make a soft keyboard that is conducive to math input (similar to
what WolframAlpha has for their mobile apps).  If there are issues
with running SymPy on the device itself, we could make the app to just
be a nice interface to SymPy Live/Gamma.

My main concern with this project is mentors.  I don't feel that I
know C, Objective-C, Java well enough to mentor a student doing this.
Does anyone here feel that they do?

    Hi,

    About the 2o proposition above :

- Android OS has a good Python (in Scripting Layer For Android - SL4A) implementation, so it is indeed possible to create a SymPy GUI using Python on Android. We currently have 3 options of GUI programming in Python SL4A :

* UiFacade, but its restricted to dialog windows, not full screen :
http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/wiki/ApiReference

* webview (Python + HTML/CSS + JavaScript), allowing full screen GUI :
http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/wiki/UsingWebView
My Python webview template (with commented source-code) :
http://www.robertocolistete.net/Python/Android/
More complex software, SMSSender, using Python SL4A & webview :
http://android-scripting.blogspot.com/2010/11/sms-merger-reviewed-with.html

* FullScreenUI experimental, it needs sl4a_r5x (beta), but it is not finished :
http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/wiki/FullScreenUI

- there are good virtual keyboards on Android, e.g. "Hacker's keyboard" is free and good for mathematical typing. So, maybe, a specific keyboard is not needed;

- if you accept, I can be a mentor and I have a possible student candidate for GSoC 2012, with a project restricted to making a SymPy GUI for Android using Python/SL4A. Using webview or FullScreenUI (if it improves in the following months). Possible names of this software : SymPyMath or EaSymPy ;-) ?

I am totally interested in programming&scientific softwares for smartphones&tablets. I have elected Python because of its availability and portability across diferent mobile OS :
- See my conclusions in "SymPy for smartphones & tablets" web site :
http://www.robertocolistete.net/Python/SymPy/
- I am the author of Integral <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75658>, Derivative <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1109972> and Limit <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1112582> for Maemo 4 & 5 OS, all using SymPy and Python/Qt, with between 31-43 thousand downloads for each one.There are MeeGo Harmattan (Nokia N9), Symbian and Android versions in development; - I am maintainer of SymPy <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78568> for Maemo 4 & 5 and MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan, as well as other Python modules.

        Regards from Brazil,

        Roberto Colistete Jr.