On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Sergiu Ivanov
<unlimitedscol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The best chances to be accepted are to sell yourself, not so much your
>> project.
>
> Hm, sounds reasonable, although different from the perspective I was
> used to adopt.

Don't get me wrong, you do need to sell your project, especially if
you are suggesting something not on the ideas list (like category
theory).  The point is that we want to see that you are capable of
completing the project.  If not, it doesn't matter how awesome the
project idea is, because it will never materialize.

Also, project plans can be changed, even during the middle of the
summer (and they often are).  On the other hand, once we accept
students, that is it.  If we are not satisfied with your work (i.e.,
you aren't doing your work), then we can do nothing but fail you, and
we lose that slot.

Aaron Meurer