Le samedi 17 mars 2012 à 20:39 +0530, Sai Nikhil a écrit :
> Hi,
>

> Intro: Sai Nikhil, 3rd year Graduate Student. Has enough experience
> with python programming .
>

> I am following up from various topics list on Sympy-GSoC 2012 ideas
> page. I found Series, Matrices, Functions modules specifically
> interesting. I wanted to know which algorithm has been implemented in
> matrix_multiply function. Is it the Naive Algorithm ? If that were the
> case, then the running time for the code would be of the order,
> O(n^3). The element wise multiplication also takes, running time of
> the order, O(n^3). But Strassen Algorithm would be more efficient
> compared to this, as the running time is of the order, O(n^lg7)  ≈
> O(n^2.807). I wanted to implement it and I need your comments/views in
> regard to this.

Floating-point algorithms aren't useful for sympy. They assume that
multiplication of elements takes a constant time, which is clearly not
true for symbolic or infinite-precision objects. In the case of
Strassen, I think that the recursive multiplication of submatrices
causes the size of the elements to grow very fast.

If you're interested by linear algebra algorithm, you rather look into
fraction-free matrix algorithms, e.g.
http://www.apmaths.uwo.ca/~djeffrey/Offprints/FFLUQR.pdf (already
partially implemented in Matrix.LUdecompositionFF).