> And it would be awesome to have a group theory module.  We presently
> only have a Permutation class in the combinatorics module, but other
> than that, we don't really have a good way to represent a group.

Is this necessary? All groups are isomorphic to the permutation group
anyway. Groups for specific structures can make use of functionality
implemented for them (matrix group -> sympy matrices, galois -> polys)
for basic operations and can implement the mapping to the perm group
module for group theoretic operations.

> Obviously, to compute the Galois group of a polynomial, you need a way
> to represent it, so for this idea, you would really need to implement
> a group theory framework that we can build upon.

Again, most of the concrete algorithms for groups are for Permutation
groups only. I see that the book by Seress has already been
referenced.

I think a more fruitful venture would be to extend the perm groups
module and leverage that to implement matrix groups or galois groups
(but then again, I am probably biased ;)

Cheers
Sapta