On Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:57:57 PM UTC-5, Aaron Meurer wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Saptarshi Mandal wrote:
> >>
> >> And it would be awesome to have a group theory module.  We presently
> >> only have a Permutation class in the combinatorics module, but other
> >> than that, we don't really have a good way to represent a group.
> >
> > Is this necessary? All groups are isomorphic to the permutation group
> > anyway. Groups for specific structures can make use of functionality
> > implemented for them (matrix group -> sympy matrices, galois -> polys)
> > for basic operations and can implement the mapping to the perm group
> > module for group theoretic operations.
>
> As Stefan noted, this is only true for finite groups.
>
> And anyway, the point I was trying to make was that a permutation
> represents an element of a group, whereas I was talking about a way to
> represent the whole group.
>
> Aaron Meurer

I was going to put group theory as a GSoC idea but you beat me to the punch
:)

What I think would be cool is to have symbolic group elements. For example,
>>> x = GroupSymbol('x', order=3)
>>> x**3
1
>>> x**-1
x**2

Then we can do neat things like create groups from arbitrary generators and
assumptions!