21.03.2012 07:34, Anthony Burzillo пишет:
> Hi all, my name's Anthony Burzillo and I am currently a freshman at Johns
> Hopkins studying Physics and CS.
>
> I am particularly interested in SymPy since, as a Physics/Math major, I
> often find myself checking my processes with Mathematica, and therefore see
> the value in an open source project like SymPy and would love to get
> involved!
>
> Anyways, after perusing the ideas page I found myself particularly
> interested by the "Multivariate polynomials and factorization" task (I
> particularly like algebra). I have read a bit on geobuckets, and
> looked through the source code.
>
> I was just wondering if you guys think that this would be too hard for
> someone with no previous knowledge of multivariate polynomials to handle (I
> like challenges, but I hope this is not impossible). I have taken Lin Alg
> and Calc III, and I am about half way through an abstract algebra text I
> have been reading on the side.
>
> I'm fully willing to do a lot of reading for the balance of the semester.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anthony

Hi, Anthony.

I can't talk about this topic myself, but as it is in the list of idea
is listed on the GSoC ideas list, then it is a good task.

Regarding difficulty, I only add that the problems may be how to embed
it in the SymPy core. It can be easy to implement as a separated
program, but in SymPy the implementation must have effective caching, is
related with interaction with the core, inheritances from main classes,
embedding to the printing system, assumption system, maintain various
bases of polynomials and so on.
Practically the most of efforts for implementation are directed to solve
those problems.

Not also, that some work was started in the master brunch (as mention i
Idea page, take a look at sympy/polys/factortools.py in the SymPy source
code), and also at the PR 609 [1]. May be they are only about the
multivariate polynomials themselves, without factorization problems.

I hope that others can clarify more about current status.

Meanwhile you can go ahead with this topic, see the [2] and try to send
a patch.

[1] https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/609
[2] http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/list?q=label:Polynomial

Alexey.