Aaron,

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is already support in the git master for taking derivatives with
> respect to functions and derivatives:
>
> In [153]: diff(x*f(x)**2 + f(x)*diff(f(x), x), f(x))
> Out[153]:
> 2⋅x⋅f(x) + ──(f(x))
>           dx
>
> In [154]: diff(x*f(x)**2 + f(x)*diff(f(x), x), diff(f(x), x))
> Out[154]: f(x)
>
> So your boilerplate code would be unnecessary in SymPy.

What about if f(x) isn't just f(x) but g(x,y,z,t)? And taking
derivatives with respect to that (and its derivatives). That's the
situation I'm in. I knew the f(x) case was implemented, but I didn't
think that the g(x,y,z,t) case was. For straightforward dynamics
problems, the f(x) case is enough, but once you add in flexible
bodies, you need the g(x,y,z,t) case as well along with all possible
derivatives.

I'd love to see a full Euler-Lagrange equation implementation. Most
(including mine), only do the standard Euler-Lagrange equation, but
for different functionals, you can can get much more complicated
Euler-Lagrange equations than just the standard one. But, to get the
full one, you'd need to implement Calculus of Variations and support
taking a variation with respect to a functional. I have a basic
implementation in Maple, but it's not particularly robust.

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering