Just applying these on numbers is already implemented:

In [17]: bin(14)
Out[17]: 0b1110

In [18]: bin(14 << 1)
Out[18]: 0b11100

In [19]: 14 << 1
Out[19]: 28

It might be useful to define these things symbolically, so that you
could say x << y, and it would give you a symbolic result (and stuff
like x & 0 would simplify to 0).  By the way, except for shifts, you
can pretty much just use regular logic and assume that the expression
is repeated eight times per byte.

Aaron Meurer