On 25.04.2012 00:20, Aaron Meurer wrote:
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Tom Bachmann<e_mc...@web.de>  wrote:
I agree. Can you open an issue for this in our issue tracker
(http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/list)?

We can do hypergeometric series, which is why the summation() function
is so powerful in the git master, but I think it's not recognizing
this one as such because it's a finite sum (Tom, please correct me if
I'm wrong).  If you use the fact that binomial(n, k) == 0 for k>    n,
and replace n with oo in the summation limits, you get:

I was about to say precisely that.

So any thoughts on how to fix it.  I guess we should try to recognize
if the summand is zero for all but finitely many values.  And then do
some manipulation on the indices.

Hm. I'm not really sure. I think that this example work by evaluating an infinite sum is a bit of a curiosity. I think for finite sums, in general, a different algorithm is needed (we have gosper_sum, but that apparently does not apply here). I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject.

By the way, I just noticed:

In [156]: summation( binomial(n,k), (k,n - 1, oo))
Out[156]:
      ⅈ⋅π
n - ℯ

That exp_polar() should probably be evaluated in the result.

Yeah I'll submit a pull request for that tomorrow.