On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org> wrote:
> Am 23.04.2012 09:28, schrieb Aaron Meurer:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Joachim Durchholz<j...@durchholz.org>
>>  wrote:

>>> Indeed.

>>> Just a heads-up here:
>>> pip install tox won't work for most people with a package-manager-managed
>>> Python install, because tox isn't in the usual package lists.
>>

>> pip is separate from other package managers.  It just downloads the
>> package and setup.py installs it.  You may have to install pip, though
>> (the easiest way is to do "easy_install pip").
>>
>> Granted, if a Python package like tox is in your Linux package
>> manager, and isn't ridiculously out of date, it's probably better to
>> install it using that, as that gives you more features like
>> dependencies and the ability to uninstall the package.
>

> It's just the other way round: I don't have tox in the package list, so I
> need to use pip or easy_install, which means using virtualenv so I have an
> environment I can install tox into.
>
> Uninstalling tox is then easy, just throw away the virtual environment :-)

I'm not sure if you want to do that. Then you would have to have
nested virtualenvs to use tox (does that even work?).

>>> I guess virtualenv is required to build a local Python install first. I'm
>>> bit confused about what tox can do for me after that; a few virtualenv
>>> calls
>>> to cycle through installed Pythons and running a few commands doesn't
>>> sound
>>> rocket-sciency enough to me to warrant installing yet another tool like
>>> tox.
>>> What am I overlooking?
>>

>> It does everything for you automatically.  You just create a simple
>> file, and type "tox" and everything happens on its own.  The very fact
>> that I've used tox but still don't really know how to use virtualenv
>> completely is testament to this. It's especially great if you do it a
>> lot, because you don't have to repeat all the steps with the
>> virtualenv. Plus your console PATH is never modified (the virtualenv
>> is never activated).  And if you try to do things manually, there's a
>> lot of room for error.
>

> What I'm missing in tox is a way to control the number of background
> processes it uses. Say, I want to run the full test suite: all Python
> versions, all tests, all ground types (that's going to take quite a while,
> so I want this to run in the background, with a lower priority, so I can
> continue to work).
> This seems to be an underdeveloped area of tox. In fact tox assumes that it
> can leave that to pytest, but that won't work if I want to configure it for
> multiple Python versions.

Yeah, they don't really have any of that implemented.  You'll have to
use your built-in OS services to reduce the priority, and you'll have
to run multiple instances of tox to do things in parallel.

> Hm. That leads me to another question:
> What were the reasons that we forked pytest for our own purposes?
> Do these reasons still hold, or should we now go back to using pytest?
> The issue was mentioned on the list, but I don't recall details.

I think Ondrej is the only one who can answer that, as everyone else
was not around when it happened.  And Ronan recently submitted a pull
request that worked on making py.test work again, so he can probably
comment on the current state of things.

> In general, I'd like to work on the testing infrastructure. We currently
> have a rather haphazard collection of tools and dependencies, and the
> documentation doesn't cover all bases (such as my scenario where I need
> virtualenv to even start using the toolset).
> I see that several people are making movements in the same direction; how
> about collecting the requirements, looking into the tools available, and
> laying out a strategy?
> References to existing issues would also be helpful, but I think we need a
> strategy; a lot of discussion on the testing framework has been moving in
> circles (Yours Truly certainly being a part of that).

There is a label in the issue tracker, "Testing", that should be on
all testing related issues (just search for "label:Testing").