Le samedi 28 avril 2012 à 15:03 -0600, Aaron Meurer a écrit :
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 5:38 AM, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org> wrote:
> > Am 27.04.2012 23:57, schrieb Aaron Meurer:
> >

> >> Yeah, they don't really have any of that implemented.  You'll have to
> >> use your built-in OS services to reduce the priority, and you'll have
> >> to run multiple instances of tox to do things in parallel.
> >

> > Urk. That is a showstopper for some of the scheduling things I was having in
> > mind.
> > Such as increasing granularity so more CPU cores can be put to good use.
> > (I'm having a four-core machine here, and I have a server with eight at my
> > disposal. Having to schedule large chunks like bin/test, bin/doctest and
> > bin/test --slow in a separate process means that towards the end, only one
> > core will do useful work.)
>
> Maybe you could look at using the IPython parallel framework in our
> tests.  Ondrej played with this a while ago, but that was with the old
> framework.  The idea is to run each test independently, and in
> parallel.  Back when we tested it before, there was a speedup.  The
> speedup was along the lines of n - 1/2, where n is the number of cores
> (the -1/2 was because one core was used for the controller).
> They've completely rewritten their parallel engine, so this will have
> to be redone, but it might be worth trying if you want this.

pytest does that (with the xdist plugin). And it seems simple to set it
up for multiple envs in tox:
http://tox.readthedocs.org/en/latest/example/pytest.html#using-multiple-cpus-for-test-runs

> >> I think Ondrej is the only one who can answer that, as everyone else
> >> was not around when it happened.  And Ronan recently submitted a pull
> >> request that worked on making py.test work again, so he can probably
> >> comment on the current state of things.

Well, py.test works (almost) - I use it all the time. There are a few
details to work out, but there doesn't seem to be any real obstacle
towards making it the only supported test suite. Currently, I think that
the main difficulty is the need to simultaneously support bin/test.