Am 30.06.2012 13:13, schrieb Sergiu Ivanov:
However, I'll try once again to push through the idea of defining
sympy.utilities.sympysort in the following way:

sympysort(x) = sorted(x, key=default_sort_key)

This will make the doctests which output non-Basic objects uglier, but
not less clearer with sympysort.

Doctests are code examples made executable to avoid the embarrassment of having non-working example code. Adding code to make the doctest pass will make the code example less useful in its primary purpose.

Alternatively, we could push sympysort into standard equality testing.

This could be done in two ways:
1) Change SymPy to use its own equality testing function(s). I believe that this could benefit other problems - I see recurring questions of the "a and b should be equal but aren't" on the mailing list, and having an array of different equality testers that work at different levels of abstractions might help address this without the feel of ugly hacks that the answers often carry.

2) If Python supports that, redefine Python's equality for SymPy dicts to be agnostic of key ordering. That would push sympysort into the equality function. (Making this efficient might be an interesting task.)