> def grep_stream(location):
>     return os.popen(
>     'find %s -name "*.py" | xargs  grep -h -P "^class
> \w+\([\s\w,]+\)"'%location)
>
> Alas, looking at the man page for xargs it seems apparent that the -P
> argument is meant for xargs whereas the -h argument is meant for grep,
> right?  So, I moved the -P arg to just after xargs and made it have a '1'
> (otherwise xargs complains) and left the -h arg as is.

The file works on my machine without complaint. I'm unfortunately not very
familiar with unix commands. I'm not sure I'll be able to diagnose this
issue. I find it odd that these commands aren't machine independent.

 When I run the script it finishes without complaints. However, the
> mats.dot file and the mats.pdf are essentially nothing:  mats.dot is
>
> homelap-3:sympy comerduncan$ cat mats.dot
> strict digraph G {
> rankdir=LR;
> overlap=false;
> }

It looks like the find+grep combination didn't pick anything up. You could
try this command in the shell and see what you get. You should get a bunch
of strings like the following to dump to the screen
class Expr(Basic):

So,  what gives? Perhaps I am simply not using it correctly?

> I am running with python2.7 on my mac (Mountain Lion). All needed routines
> are installed (macports is great).

Again, my guess is that the behavior of the unix tools is slightly
different between MacOSX and Debian/Ubuntu. This surprises me. If anyone is
more familiar with these tools I'd be happy to swap out what I have with
something a bit more robust.

I'd also be very happy if someone was able to replace this python script
with a pure bash one. I suspect this program can be further simplified.

This little script is cute and probably useful when one is trying to sort
> out the class dependencies in a given project or just in general trying to
> understand how things are hung together.
>
> Thanks for making this little tool.

Thanks for using it.