On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> Google has announced again that they are running Google Code In, and
> has invited mentoring organizations to participate.  For those of you
> who did not help out last year, Google Code In is a contest run by
> Google in the (northern hemisphere) winter months for 13-17 year-olds.
>  Several organizations create tasks suitable for such an audience, and
> the mid- to high-school students compete to see who can complete the
> most tasks.  Unlike GSoC, there is no pairing of mentors to students;
> rather, there is a group of mentors for each org who can accept
> students' work, and assist them.
>
> Last year, we participated, and it was pretty successful.  Aside from
> tons of bug and documentation fixes in the main SymPy code base, the
> contest lead to many improvements to SymPy Live, including the current
> design, the mobile version, tab completion, and the history.

I will be able to help later on, in December for a while. I am finishing
my PhD and defending on November 8, so I won't have any time before
then.

If you think that we can pull it off, then we should do it, I think it
really helped
SymPy, both in terms of publicity, code as well as new contributors. I think
we just need enough mentors to help out --- the tasks are really small,
but there are a lot of them.

Ondrej