On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Vladimir Perić <vlada.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm up for helping. I think the rule changes, especially not getting
> paid for each single task, will mean much less work for mentors (in
> the sense that there will be a lot more repeat students so we won't
> need to go through Git basics quite so many times).

Absolutely.  I think it will mean far fewer students in general,
because quite a few of the students just did it for the money (and in
general, these were among the least pleasant students to work with).

Also, the rules encourage students to pick an organization and stick
with it, so hopefully we will get much more of a community out of GCI
students.  We can even make it clear that a factor in our choosing the
winners from the top five contributors will be in how much/well they
interacted with the community in general.

> Like last year, I think we will have a lot of luck if we focus our
> tasks on a) examples and other documentation (it's easy enough, can
> even be fun for the student, and is a real help to the project); and
> b) things outside the competencies of the core developers (eg.
> anything web related, you said it yourself that SymPy Live and Gamma
> improved a lot). We can't really expect a random high school student
> to dive into quantum mechanics or whatever.

Yes. The best contributions from last year were:

- SymPy Live
- Documentation and the webpage, especially really easy documentation
stuff like just adding functions to Sphinx
- Simple bug fixes

I was impressed at how many high school students were fluent in
Javascript and CSS/web design.

We can also add tasks for:

- Cleaning up various parts of the wiki
- SymPy Bot (I tagged a bunch of issues last year, but forgot to add
them to Melange)
- SymPy Gamma