Thanks.  But that is what I tried?

python setup.py develop
usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
   or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
   or: setup.py --help-commands
   or: setup.py cmd --help

error: invalid command 'develop'

This is the setup.py in the top-level sympy directory (next to .git,
setupupegg.py ...)

I was guessing it is a documentation issue.  (Or an error on my part, of
course.)

This is Linux, Python 2.7.3.

Thank You.