Great.

I first had to install  setuptools, but then this worked fine.  (At least
on Linux.  I haven't tried Windows or Mac.)

I was going to put in a change to the doc, but I see someone has already
beaten me to it -- thanks.

Just so I am clear on the concept -

After doing this you can just do

         python setup.py build

but no need to do

        python setup.py install

And thus save time and a little disk space.  In fact, I would guess that in
many cases you could even skip the build step.

Many thanks.