On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Roberto Colistete Jr.
<roberto.colist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am experimenting the new plotting module (using MatPlotLib) of SymPy
> 0.7.2.
>
> Besides being documented in :
> http://docs.sympy.org/0.7.2/modules/plotting.html
> and examples "plot_*.ipynb" in :
> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/tree/master/examples/beginner
> the following features don't work with me (using Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits, SymPy
> 0.7.2 git source code from 12/02/2013,
> MatPlotLib 1.1.1~rc1, NumPy 1.6.1) :
> - aspect_ratio in plot and plot_parametric;
> - nb_of_points_x, nb_of_points_y in plot3d.
>
> Does anyone have the same problems ?

These are probably bugs.

> Also, the notebook examples "plot_*.ipynb", IMHO, should have as first line,
> e.g. :
> from sympy import *; from sympy.abc import x, y, z, t
> so they can be run with a normal IPython Notebook (ipython notebook without
> --profile=sympy).

This was fixed in https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/1561, but that
was postponed because we didn't decide if we want to include the image
files in git.

Anyway, the notebooks aren't included in the release yet, so for now
they are just examples in the git repo.

> Last but not least, the required minimum version of MatPlotLib should be
> listed. Is v1.1 ?
> I've tested v1.0 and some features don't work :
> - adaptive sampling of plot_parametric for some functions;
> - plot3d_parametric_line;
> - surface_color option of plot3d & plot3d_parametric_surface.

I know that when it was being developed, the git version of matplotlib
was required.  Probably they have released since then.  If it doesn't
work in 1.0 but does in 1.1, then I guess either 1.1 or 1.0.1 is the
minimum version.  I agree we should document it, or add a hard version
check when importing matplotlib (using import_module).