On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I forgot one.  This is maybe not enough to be a GSoC project in
> itself, though enough could probably be added to it to make it one.
> We need to automate our release process (see
> http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=3445, and my rant on
> the mailing list linked to there).  I would put this at the top of my
> list, above the assumptions.  Right now, we are releasing at an
> abysmal rate (less than once a year), when we have enough changes
> coming in to be releasing once a month.  I myself have already
> committed to not do another release until this is fixed, so unless
> someone else steps up, this literally means that we won't release
> again until this issue is solved.
>
> Any thoughts on something that could be added to this to make it a
> full GSoC project?

I would not do this as a project, because we don't know yet what works
for us well and we need to keep iterating on this, starting now. See
my comment in the issue #3445 you posted. I just released NumPy 1.7.0,
and I have the process fully automated, so let me create something for
SymPy.
I've recently contributed the following improvements to our Travis-CI testing:

https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/1756
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/1758
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/1759

So I think that we are in a pretty good shape here, the last missing
piece is testing our Sphinx docs, which I will try to contribute soon.
We are depending a bit on the actual Travis VM setup, which we can't
influence, so I think it makes sense to run the tests once in our own
well controlled environment in a Vagrant VM during the release
process, as a safety check. I'll contribute the initial version, and
then the release process will be defined by just running a script.
Anybody can improve it by sending a PR.

Ondrej