> Why not a middle ground? For some things it would be silly not to
> support n dimensions, like dot product, but for others, like cross
> product, the n-dimensional generalization is more complicated, and
> (if I understand correctly), not even technically a vector. For those
> cases, you could give an error if n > 3.

Yes, I implicitly excluded the wedge/cross product from my wish
to have vectors in Rn. This is where we can make to border towards
geometric/Grassmann/exterior/Clifford Algebra things. (But make sure
one can enter that world from vector expressions)

Actually, here is another cross product in R7:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-dimensional_cross_product

And for R1, R2 we can trivially pad vectors to R3.
Maybe one could even fill up R4,R5,R6 to R7? But that
I never tried.

> Could someone write up a list if everything that would be tricky to
> do in n dimensions (rather than 3)? Someone mentioned creating a wiki
> page. That would be a good place for this.

Actually, I the abstract algebra code & paper I mentioned, all basic
axioms of vector algebra are valid in Rn *except* the cross product.

> By the way, you say Rn, but is there a reason to not use Cn instead?
> Or maybe it won't actually matter for 99% of the code.

Oh sure! The base field should not matter. (Probably char 0, maybe
not even necessary to assume that.) Anyway, at least R and C should
be supported, they should not be hard-coded though.