You can delete an upstream branch with git using

  git push remote :branchname

(note the colon).  The usual syntax is

  git push remote sourcebranch:remotebranch

putting nothing for sourcebranch causes it replace remotebranch with
the empty branch (i.e., delete it).

It's also best to always use --dry-run first when doing this, to make
sure it really will do what you want.

What I personally do is I have an alias

  pu = push github

in my .gitconfig. Then, whenever I push, I do "git pu" instead of "git
push github".  This way, I never accidentally leave off the "github"
and push to origin.  It's also fewer letters :)

Aaron Meurer