Sorry for not replying. My emails have been piling up. Also, my IRC
client stopped notifying me of activity in the channel, so that's why
I've been dead there.

I think the application looks good. My basic comments:

- Could you add, if possible, which specific references you will use
for each key part of the algorithms?  That way it will be more clear
which parts are explicitly explained in the literature, and which
parts you will have to figure out on your own.

- It sounds like the Lie group solver creates intermediate PDEs, which
are then solved. So I think the best way to approach this would be to
extend the PDE solver ("extend" here actually means "write", because
no PDE solvers currently exist in SymPy) to handle the types that you
need.   The PDE solver should be modeled similarly to the ODE solver.
By the way, solving PDEs could make a whole summer's GSoC project.
Most interesting PDEs cannot be solved symbolically, but quite a few
can, especially first order ones. I can give you some pointers there
if you are interested.

- It's interesting that you cite "Solving Differential Equations by
Symmetry Groups" by John Starrett. Did you know that Dr. Starrett was
my professor (indeed, the one that I took my ODEs course from), or is
it just a coincidence?

- In general (this applies to everyone, not just you), you can never
focus too much on the implementation. If you feel like there is not
enough in your application, write more about the implementation.

Aaron Meurer