The idea presented in this paper is rather simple. I wish I had known
about it when I wrote separatevars. It would take about a day to
implement, at most (plus review time). It's not suggested that a
project focus on just this method, but rather that it can be part of a
larger project on ODEs. By the way, you can find the paper online if
you Google for the title.

I think it generalizes to n variables. The condition would be that
f(x1', ..., xn')**(n - 1)*f(x1, ..., xn) = f(x1, ..., xn')*...*f(x1',
..., xn) (I use prime for the "constant", the a0 and b0 in the paper.
Here and throughout, ... means all the intermediate variables are
primed, except for f(x1, ..., xn), which means all variables are not
primed).

For the proof, let phi_i(xi) = f(x1', ..., xi, ..., xn')/f(x1', ...,
xn') for i = 1, ..., n - 1 and let phi_n(xn) = f(x1', ..., xn). Then
phi_1(x1)*...*phi_n(xn) = f(x1, ..., xn')*...*f(x1', ..., xn)/f(x1',
..., xn')**(n - 1) = f(x1', ..., xn')**(n - 1)*f(x1, ..., xn)/f(x1,
..., xn')**(n - 1) = f(x1, ..., xn).

The other direction is still obvious, because the "power" of each
variable (primed or not) of f on both sides is the same, so if you
split both sides into phi_i's, they will both be the same.

The implementation would be the same too, as far as I can tell. There
might be some cleverness needed to choose the correct variable to not
divide by f(x1', ..., xn')**(n - 1) (even in the two variable case),
though I think the only difference will be how nice the result looks
modulo what constants are put on what terms.

By the way, the implementation of this would go in separatevars(),
which is in simplify.py.

Aaron Meurer