> I am interested specifically in the code generation idea under PyDy, i.e.
> creating output codes which work directly with numerical ODE solvers, and
> will definitely be visiting this group more often over the coming months to
> get some guidance.

In your proposal you would have to show not only how to add new
features to `mechanics`, but also how to restructure/update/use the
already present code generation routines in SymPy. A start would be to
check
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Philosophy-of-Numerics-and-Code-Generation-in-SymPy
and all the codegen documentation/code.

It is really important not to have yet-one-more way to do what is
already half supported in sympy (we are already in bad shape
concerning this utilities).

> My GSoC application is up at
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/v9joshi/1
> and on my Google site
> https://sites.google.com/site/v9joshi/gsoc-blog/gsocapplication

Are you applying only to SymPy or also to the Python Foundation? If
PyDy is part of an umbrella org be sure to apply to it.