Disclaimer: just a SymPy user, so I don't speak for the
developers/maintainers.

One of the coolest things about Wolfram Alpha is its natural language
capability. When a user sees a simple text box (e.g., like in Sympy Gamma),
the instinct is probably to put in a natural language query, not code in a
structured language. The ability to handle some form of natural language
input would be a really great feature, I think. Maybe it is out of scope
for this project (and possibly for SymPy entirely), but it is something
interesting to think about. The ability to enter something like "integrate
sin x / x from 0 to pi" is very neat.

I think it might be more useful than some of the other ideas in your
proposal (interpreting Matlab & Maxima, interpreting MathML -- nobody is
going to enter MathML by hand).

I'm not sure if NLTK (http://nltk.org/) will be of any help in this
department.