On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Julien Rioux <julien.ri...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I don't recall
>>
>> Well I think we should do it.  It should be an easy fix. Just catch
>> NotImplementedError in solve() and return [], and fix all the tests,
>> and also change the code base to not catch it any more.
>>

> Please don't return [] (empty list) instead of NotImplementedError, you
> would have [] mean either there is no solution, or we don't know if there is
> any solution, and that would just be a step backward as far as issue 3699 is
> concerned. To remove the NotImplementedError we first need a bigger object
> with some sort of attribute to indicate if it's a complete solution set or
> not.

It's not a step backward, because the current system does *not* make
that guarantee.  If you've been writing code on that assumption, it is
wrong.

And the plan is to use an object of that sort.  NotImplementedError is
not a useful way to signal that we didn't find all the solutions
because sometimes we can find some but not all solutions (e.g.,
trivially, multiply the whole expression by x, then 0 will be a
solution).

Actually, that's a bug in the current system. If you do multiply an
equation that gives NotImplementedError by x, you still don't get any
solutions. Try solve(cos(x)*x - x**2, x).

Aaron Meurer