Generic Partial Differential Equations may yield arbitrary functions in
their solutions.

When matching this generic solutions to initial or boundary conditions, we
get a functional equation: that is an equation whose variable is a function
(without derivatives).

If the function to be found has the same parameters everywhere, that case
reduces to a simple equation. If the parameters are different, that can be
very complicated to deal.

Which case is the better one:

   1. Given a PDE and initial/final/boundary conditions, implement an
   algorithm which finds the solution without passing through the generic
   arbitrary function solution.
   2. Find the general solution of the PDE, then solve a functional
   equation to match the initial/boundary conditions.

I don't know very much theory about general functional equation solving, is
there any idea?

Maybe a functional equation solver may be useful even outside of PDE
solvers?