I guess a recurrence relation is a special case of a functional
equation.  I didn't consider that a functional equation might be
transformable to a recurrence relation via a change of variable.

I'm not sure how well your way works.  If you take the classical
functional equation f(a + b) = f(a)*f(b), we let k*(x + 1) = a, k*x =
b, and we get f(k*(2*x + 1) = f(k*x) + f(k*(x + 1)).  SymPy's rsolve
cannot solve this (even if you set k = 1).  Maybe it is solvable
though.

Aaron Meurer