I'm unfortunately ignorant of the commutation relations of su(2) and su(3)
but I am generally interested in the clear expression of mathematics in
code.  Are you able to either point to simple and quick-to-read reference
or give a clear example of the problem and the importance (I prefer the
latter)?

If the problem isn't specific to lie algebras and if you're able to express
it clearly then you will be able to leverage a significantly larger
proportion of the community.