Hehe, they don't write the expression in MathML, I'm not that kind of
demon.

They enter expressions in a textarea by means of
http://mathdox.org/formulaeditor/, from which I can get the openmath or the
(presentation) mathml .The web app is for K12 students, well 12-16 years
old, so I think this way to enter mathematical expressions is one of the
easiest...