On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Guy Parsey <guy.par...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Theano/Sympy questions
> Fred, in terms of replacing sympy.Pieceiwse with a Theano equivalent,
> since sympy.Piecewise attempts each condition (from ExprCondPair) until one
> is valid, I would think that the closest equivalent would be a recursive
> theano ifelse (ie. sympy.Piecewise((expr1,cond1),(expr2,cond2)) ~
> theano.ifelse(cond1,expr1,theano.ifelse(cond2,expr2,None))) statement so
> that the expressions are not evaluated until the condition is achieved.
> This might be too much of a patch though and I am not sure how to implement
> it with the same argument structure as sympy.Pieceiwse.

It would work. But for the timming, I would also try with the switch op
instead of ifelse. The ifelse currently have much bigger oveahead then the
switch op, and even if the switch op evaluate both branch, it happen
relatively frequently that it is faster then the ifelse. Especially if each
expression have small size, like a scalar or a small vector.

> With regards to using an externally defined theano graph or op (theano
> wrapped sympy implementation), how would one  pass them to theano_function?
> It feels as though it would be analogous to the autowrap helpers argument,
> or would this be an issue of merging graphs before calling theano.function?
> If I can understand this step, I feel as though both of my problems would
> be solvable (a wrapping of a piecewise along with a wrapping of an
> interpolated function)

There is 2 steps. 1) make a theano op like descrided here:
http://deeplearning.net/software/theano/tutorial/extending_theano.html

2) Modify theano_function to use the new Theano op for the equivalent SymPy
op. It could be possible to make an autowrap for this, but I don't know
enough of the detail to be sure.

> In all of my simplified test cases (no pieceiwse or interpolations, 9
> heavily-linked non-linear ODEs), I also show that the lambdify function is
> faster to evaluate than my created theano function. When passing a list of
> expressions, if there is a commons subexpression that exists in two
> expressions (not twice in the same expression), is it treated as such
> during theano compilation or is each expression handled separately?

Theano will merge duplicated subexpression automatically by default. What
is your function? If it is too "simple", for example just working on
scalar, Theano have by default much overhead. As said for the other
benchmark, there is tricks to remove a big part or even all of it, but it
ask for some work on the developer.