On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Jason Moore <moorepa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't there is any way to know how active the development will be. We
> presented it at two conferences for the first time in the last couple of
> months and have some people showing interest because of that. But for now it
> is just the core devs side project and we use it in our research.

As to sympy.mechanics, my recommendation, based on my experience with
PyDy so far, is to wait till the late fall,
like November and see how the development goes. If it stays active,
then by all means
you should maintain your own project. Also so that you can include more things,
for example some compiled code, and so on.
If, on the other hand, the development slows down, as it has in the
past between the summers,
it might be a good idea to keep it in sympy for now.

As to PyDy Viz, by looking at the code
(https://github.com/PythonDynamics/pydy-viz), I would probably keep it
outside.
You can put sympy as a git submodule, and Travis will automatically test it.

It really depends on how active the development is --- if it is
active, then it is easy to keep sympy.mechanics working with recent
versions of sympy (in the git submodule). If it is not very active,
then it might be easier to let the rest of sympy team
to maintain sympy.mechanics. Even things like Python 3 support, you
get this for free by being part of sympy.
But if you are active, then it is not a big deal to do all this work yourself.

Ondrej