Squashing a bunch of commits like this isn't very effective in my
experience, because git tries to do them one at a time, which tends to
lead to a bunch of unnecessary conflicts.  If you want just one
commit, it's easier to just get the diff and apply it manually. Unless
you know of a better way.

Aaron Meurer