I like Joachim's suggestion of de-dynamizing the codebase.  I suspect it
would help not only with future attempts at translation, but also with
Cython or PyPy ports.  It would probably even help the pure Python
implementation (which remains my top priority) and encourage growth.

Efforts to remove magic without reducing performance would probably have
significant positive impact both in increasing portability to other
languages and also in supporting growth within the existing codebase.