On Sep 30, 2013, at 6:16 PM, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org> wrote:

> Am 30.09.2013 23:07, schrieb F. B.:
>>
>> By the way, what about trying to force static typing in sympy's core
>> through the usage of decorators?
>
> Can any IDE make use of that?
>
> > Or maybe even try to define a standard to
>> write Python code in order to make it easy to translate it to C++ through
>> code generators? I am fascinated by the idea of sympy being written in
>> C/C++, but I am also very skeptical about the time needed for a translation
>> by hand.
>
> One of the problems in Sympy is that it's making quite liberal use of
> Python's ability to add class members long after the classes are declared.

 I guess you mean just for the metaclasses. C, S, and the assumptions
metaclasses are the primary metaclasses, and the first and third we
would like to remove. To translate S, you would just need to switch
over to whatever kind of singletonization is possible in C++. The
actual classes in SymPy are immutable and really shouldn't be changing
after being constructed.

Aaron Meurer