On Tuesday, 1 October 2013 18:52:18 UTC+1, F. B. wrote:

> Anyone ever heard of Nuitka? I discovered this project today, and it looks
> very promising.

I've played around with Cython, Nuitka, shedskin etc. I would not recommend
Nuitka (see Stefan Behnels blog post on the topic) - furthermore: it
produces huge binaries.

Based on what I've read lately mypy <http://www.mypy-lang.org/index.html>might
be the silver bullet but it's quite new and I haven't found
the time to play around with it yet.

> It's a compiler for Python, which basically translates Python to C++ and
> then compiles it to machine code. It could be used for translating purposes
> as well.
>
> Unlike other things like that, such as PyPy, Cython, ShedSkin, they aim to
> be 100% compatible with CPython syntax. Nuitka does not create its own
> implementation of the Python language, rather it uses the ast package. of
> CPython to parse code, which could be a strong point to keep compatibility.

In Nuitka's TODO list there is an interesting feature: static typing
> through decorators, which unlike Cython's *cdef*, do not break CPython
> compatibility. Unfortunately it's not yet implemented, but once it will be,
> I think the best solution to speed up SymPy would be to clean up Python's
> code and put static-variable-decorators. As of now, Python variables are
> still translated as PyObject pointers, which shouldn't have great benefits
> in term of speed.
>
> In any case, Nuitka could also be used as a starting translation towards a
> C++ implementation of SymPy, or keep development in Python and use it to
> generate C++ code.

On the note of  de dynamizing the code base it might be worth looking into
param:
https://github.com/ioam/param
http://pyvideo.org/video/1230/param-declarative-programming-using-parameters

I've also played around automatic (cython) code generation of decorated
classes
https://gist.github.com/bjodah/6790854
(requires Py3, cython & mako) but it got cumbersome so I didn't go any
further.