On Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:09:05 PM UTC-5, F. B. wrote:

> On Saturday, January 11, 2014 6:56:06 PM UTC+1, Comer wrote:
>>

>> In [*3*]: run RiemRicREinstein.py
>>
>>   File "/Users/comerduncan/sympytensor/RiemRicREinstein.py", line 52
>>
>>     G(a,b) = Ric(a,b) -gR
>>
>> SyntaxError: can't assign to function call
>>
>> So, what's the problem?  I should be able to dynamically define various
>> new tensors from ones already defined, right? I've attached the version I
>> am using now.
>>

> This code is wrong python code. You cannot do assignments to function
> calls in python, and this will never be possible as python is not a
> functional language. Just do:
>
> G = Ric(a, b) - gR

Oops!  Thanks.  I have checked that (G(a,b)*g(-a,-b)).contract_metric(g)
 gives  -Ric(L_0, -L_0) as it should.

I will continue to define some much loved tensors and see whether I run
into any problems.

I do have another question or two...

I see the .data method.  What is really needed is the ability to create
data arrays constructed from symbols, indeed functions of various local
coordinates.  So far I have only seen numerical entries in the data... Can
one put instead something like what symarray provides in place of the
Minkowski metric?

Comer