On Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:26:51 PM UTC+1, Comer wrote:

> I do have another question or two...
>
> I see the .data method.  What is really needed is the ability to create
> data arrays constructed from symbols, indeed functions of various local
> coordinates.  So far I have only seen numerical entries in the data... Can
> one put instead something like what symarray provides in place of the
> Minkowski metric?

Yes, of course. I just notice there's no symbolic example in the
docstrings. Take a look at this test:

https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/master/sympy/tensor/tests/test_tensor.py#L1235

This is a 4-momentum-like assignment of sympy Symbols. Nested lists or a
generating function are accepted. I don't remember if it also accepts a
numpy ndarray, if it doesn't, that' a bug.