Amit,

Thanks for your interest. While I am very much interested in seeing
the quantum computing capabilities of SymPy improve, I think this
particular proposal is out of scope for the project.

* The material is advanced enough that there is no one of the SymPy
team that would be capable to mentoring this project. I am probably
the closest (Physics professor, focusing on quantum mechanics), but I
have absolutely no background in this stuff. This point is extremely
important because we have found that perhaps the most important
ingredient for a successful GSoC experience is an active mentor who
has a deep understanding of the material.
* The material is specialized enough that I don't think it belongs in
SymPy, even if we had a mentor for it. Honestly, even the general
quantum computing stuff already borders on being too specialized for
SymPy. Were I to do it again today, I would probably make the quantum
computing stuff a separate package. Oh, well.

Given these two factors, I think the best path forward for you is to
develop a separate package for topological quantum computing that uses
SymPy, but is separate. That is one of the great things about SymPy -
you can easily extend it in separate projects/packages. I know that
does't help you get GSoC funding for this though :(

Cheers,

Brian

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Amit <bitsjamada...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello ,
>           I am Amit. I would like to discuss the implementation of modular
> tensor categories for realization of Topological Quantum Computation. In
> Topological Quantum Computation we use anyon braiding (which develops a
> phase) to construct quantum gates which are nothing but unitary transforms.
> The entire process of anyon braiding can be mathematically modeled by
> representation of modular tensor categories. I have attached the article
> through which I have gone through for understanding the implementation in
> CAS. In addition to what is already present, most of the work is on
> matrices. The 2 Vect spaces are isomorphic to whole numbers, 1 cells are
> represented by matrices and 2 cells are represented by inner matrices (or 2
> matrices) i.e., matrices inside matrices. Most of the implementation is by
> using the properties of matrices and extending the present implementation of
> matrices. The implementation then tested the Fibonacci model by mentioning
> the fusion rules. I would like add this functionality to Sympy and if
> possible carry it out as a part of GSoC 2014. According to my understanding
> the implementation is mostly mathematical but the physical extension is to
> TQC by testing the Fibonacci model. I request the community to comment on
> this. Thanks.
>
> File :
> http://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid%3Ac9b6eaf8-29d4-4637-a576-5a35d3c957bb/datastreams/THESIS01

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/281d1065-f0e0-40bc-ab6b-60fccede626c%40googlegroups.com.