Sorry I didn't see this email sooner.

To answer your last question, the assumptions system is more
important, though also much harder. You should not let the existence
of other proposals discourage you, though. There is enough work to do
(especially in the assumptions system) for multiple GSoC projects.

It's good to see that you already contributed back in 2008 (that was
before I even joined the project). I would recommend contributing some
new patches. The codebase for SymPy has changed quite a lot since
then, so it will be good to get up to speed.

And of course, if you do plan to apply, you should start to work on a
proposal right away, since the deadline is very soon. Feel free to
ping me on Gitter if you don't get any responses here.

Aaron Meurer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6%2BjHYNW6dTifX58SSnv6fBjqGTxiQkhkTPjESf%3D3w0sVA%40mail.gmail.com.