I came across this discussion when searching for info on FriCAS and sympy
together,
and found the comments to be worthy of some response.

1. The Axiom languages do not go back to the 1960s.  Anything you might say
about
them blaming defects on historical  ignorance of those ancient times is
probably misplaced.
While there were predecessors to Axiom going back to the Scratchpad project
at IBM
(which was late 1960s), the view from the IBM group was that to automate
all of mathematics
one needed an appropriate programming language substrate, and none of the
existing
programming languages was suitable.

There is a traditional approach in building large systems to define a
language layer that
allows for ease of expression.  This is almost inevitable in large lisp
systems where ideas
like building interpreters, defining macros for compiling, and other
features are often
used. Hence SPAD and ALDOR.

Frankly, the thought that python is suitable for a CAS base is easily shown
to be false by looking
at Sage, and the uncomfortable syntax and misfit between Sage types and
python types that
have the same underlying concept.

So python/Sage is wrong.

But the idea that the existence of SPAD and ALDOR is a hindrance to
development --- eh,
not obvious.  Unless you have tried to write the same algebraic symbolic
code with and without them, (in lower level, say Lisp), you are not in a
position to judge.

The note below which suggests reading the code and writing it anew in
python might make
sense -- I don't know.   But if someone said to you, look at this short
Lisp program. Can you
write it in (say) FORTRAN,   you might say -- sure -- it's not so very
different.

Except that to implement the equivalent program in FORTRAN you might have
to also
implement a storage allocation / garbage collection system.

So first impressions of the ease of conversion from ALDOR etc to python
might also be false.

RJF

The thought that all mathematics would be simple to encode given the right
programming language
has been unsuccessfully pursued for about 60 years.  I supervised aPhD
thesis circa 1984 on this
general topic.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/2df14351-9796-4a93-a397-545295a537de%40googlegroups.com.