If I'm not mistaken, both Python and scipy keep their docs in a separate repo.

Another challenge with our release notes is that we tend to have a
*lot* of changes per release, thanks to both the rate at which we
release, and the large amount of code we have coming in from GSoC
(plus a lot of smaller contributions from various people). The release
notes should do a good job of summarizing the high-level changes for
the release as well as list all changes for anyone who's interested.

I do agree that our release notes should be improved. I'm just not
convinced that moving them to the source would solve that.

Aaron Meurer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6JBGDTmQh5P10x%2BTEbUzeCEwMe%3Dv9atfXVo4o1uTB9jkA%40mail.gmail.com.