Am 29.11.2014 um 18:52 schrieb James Crist:
The system described in the Jenks paper would work better than what I've
written if we plan to use relatively small sets of small patterns. Larger
patterns, or larger rulesets will work better with what I'm writing, (I
think), as they will have more potential paths, and generating specialized
predicates for each path will get increasingly expensive.

If you're after how a "standard" set of patterns might look like, Rubi might be a good start.
See http://www.apmaths.uwo.ca/~arich/ .

It's several thousand rules.
IIRC, they have been carefully constructed to be non-overlapping (you can only apply a single rule at any time), so they might be "too easy" to really test the algorithm's design.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/547A4F57.6050902%40durchholz.org.