1994 paper by Adam Dingle and Richard Fateman
Branch Cuts in Computer Algebra,  (ISSAC '94 proceedings. also search
online).

When you say things about sqrt(), does it generalize to cuberoot?  If it
does not, you are in trouble, or will be down the road.

What is the principal value of  (1)^(1/6) ?

Several systems have  RootOf( ...)  expressions.  e.g.  RootOf(s^2=x, s).
There are 2 values for s.   What systems?
Maple
Macsyma
Axiom/Fricas
Mathematica
  probably others.

You think you can use sqrt because the quadratic formula says
-b+-sqrt(b^2....)
etc.
So you think you know what sqrt means.
But in that formula you can switch the values +- and the formula
is still valid.

How many other formulas do you expect to fiddle with where that is true?

Certainly not this one:    sqrt(y^2) = abs(y).

So if you go off and do the wrong thing, it is probably prudent to
understand that you are doing the wrong thing.  Beyond that, you
are certainly free to do it.

RJF

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/bfcb90b3-1513-48e9-8ea1-0a942bec52a1%40googlegroups.com.