It would be nice to be able to work on SymPy using Eclipse.

Current state of things is that I'm getting ~50,000 errors/warnings. I tried cleaning this up a bit with some hopefully uncontroversial changes - fixing the E30x warnings (too many/few empty lines between class/function declarations) dropped that number by ~3,000, which is a start but obviously no more than that.

I'm considering configuring PyDev to do somewhat less strict PEP-8 checking, but it didn't work (yet). Also, this might mean adding a .project file or some other way of helping people configure their PyDev into usefulness, so I'm not sure what the best way ahead is.

My current working mode is to fix one kind of warning at a time, and do a mega commit for that. This makes it easy to fix those things that can be fixed in a mechanistic way, and it also makes it easy to review the pull requests. On the minus side, the commits can get pretty large, and they touch everybody's work, so they should not sit unmerged for very long.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Regards,
Jo

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/549EAF02.9070806%40durchholz.org.