On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org> wrote:
> Am 27.12.2014 um 17:33 schrieb Francesco Bonazzi:
>>
>> I think it would be nice to make tests easily runnable with PyDev's
>> debugger. Unfortunately, SymPy's tests being non-standard means that PyDev
>> is not able to start them.
>

> Just run bin/test with the proper parameters.
> Avoid options that cause bin/test to start the tests in a subprocess.

This is enabled by default. You'll have to use --no-subprocess to
avoid it. Without starting in a subprocess, it will be harder to debug
issues caused by hash randomization (Python 3.3+), or hash
randomization won't be enabled at all (Python 2 or Python 3.2).

> Also, you *should* be able to start the test programs directly.
>
> Either way, you need to set up a proper PYTHONPATH so that the test will
> find the sympy module. It took me a bit of fiddling to get everything right,
> but I got it to work eventually, and I think it gets easier once you know
> which setting means exactly what.
> Alternatively, a good set of instructions would be helpful. Since I'm
> currently setting up a new Eclipse install and getting SymPy to work on it,
> I might actually write something :-)

Our tests should work with py.test too, so if there is support for
that you can use it.

>> I think the real advantage of Eclipse is its debugger, and easy-to-use
>> breakpoints in the source code.
>

> I don't know PyCharm, so I can't compare.
>
>> Anyways, I recently realized that PyCharm, which used to be a paid
>> proprietary Python IDE, is now open source.
>

> Ah, that's interesting.
> For others, I fear - I'm too entrenched with Eclipse right now and would not
> want to learn yet another IDE.
>
>> I suggest to use PyCharm
>>
>> instead of Eclipse+PyDev, it works much better. PyCharm gets a lot less
>> false warnings than Eclipse+PyDev.
>

> PyDev *claims* that you can configure the warning.
> I haven't manage to get that to work yet, unfortunately, so I don't really
> know whether that point stands or not.
>
>> Both PyCharm and PyDev can detect Python tests written using the standard
>> Python unit testing systems, unfortunately they don't recognize SymPy's
>> tests.
>

> SymPy should become more standardized in that respect, I think.
> But that's a separate discussion.

-100000 to using unittest style tests.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6KueYbvZnr0ePmLXJOxYk-J_YyO2mpHCar6Oq_yqv14RA%40mail.gmail.com.