On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Ivan Savov <ivan.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear SymPy developers,
>

> I'm a big fan of sympy and have been using it to learn and teach math and
> physics
> for many years. Awesome work! Thank you all for building this powerful
> tool.
>
> This summer I wrote a sympy tutorial intended for students that explains
> the
> basics of using SymPy for solving typical high school math problems, and
> also covers a bit of calculus, mechanics, vectors, and linear algebra.
> See the PDF of it here: http://minireference.com/static/sympy_tutorial.pdf

Good work.

> I want to contribute the tutorial to the SymPy project  (minus the book
> plug of course),
> and I want to know what's the best way to go about this. Specifically:
>
>    - Do you think this tutorial will be useful?
>    - If yes, what should be the title? Sympy tutorial 2?  SymPy tutorial
>    for students?
>    - What license should I use to make it compatible/includable with
>    SymPy?
>
> I plan to continue to distribute the IEEEtran formatted pdf from my site
> for
> marketing purposes, but I can convert the text into .rst for ease of
> merging into /doc/src/.

There is definitely useful material here. There is also material that is
effectively duplicate what is already in the existing tutorial. It would
probably be confusing to have two tutorials.

How do you feel about contributing the parts that aren't in the existing
tutorial at all (like the mechanics), improving the parts that are in the
existing tutorial but not as well done (like the matrices), and looking at
the base SymPy stuff and seeing what can be improved.

I'm also welcome to general suggestions and improvements to the current
SymPy tutorial.

One difference I notice between your tutorial and the official SymPy one is
that yours also teaches some math along the way, whereas the SymPy one
assumes the reader already knows the math behind the various functions.
Which way do you think is better? I wrote the current SymPy tutorial, and I
used that style because it simplifies things, especially for readers who
already know the math.

> Note, currently, Z. Janák is working on converting the tutorial into an
> ipython notebook:
> http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/ivanistheone/74144fee778d1f117c99
> this work will be happening here:
> https://github.com/ivanistheone/sympy_tutorial/
> He recommended CC BY-SA for the notebooks. Is CC BY-SA compatible with:
> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/master/LICENSE  ?

IANAL, but I believe CC BY-SA is not compatible with BSD, because of the SA
(share alike), which makes it copyleft. Regardless, I think at best, it
would be a confusing situation to have different parts of SymPy be licensed
differently, so if you want to contribute this to SymPy, it would be best
if you licensed it as BSD (my understanding of dual licensing is that you
can also license it as something else for other purposes if you want).

Aaron Meurer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6LgX5gJrVnH441X%2BYZm7kaZ1NnociMMkE0aLewpO7ZdPA%40mail.gmail.com.