Am 06.03.2015 um 23:12 schrieb Aaron Meurer:
So one of your suggestions is probably the best fix. Your suggestion 2
(or 3, I don't see the difference) sounds like the best plan to me.

The plan was to have 2: Set up S.Whatever but delay instance creation, and 3: delay S.Whatever creation. Somehow things got mixed up while I wrote the suggestions. Right now I think it doesn't matter to callers so it's not important which of the two it will be.

> It
will break down if something at import time calls S.Whatever, but that
should be avoided anyway.

Ack.

Even so, I'm still not a fan of evalf() being called inside a class
constructor. Pervasive use of evalf is one of the reasons SymPy is
slow.

I can see that, but calling evalf() inside a singleton's constructor should be okay, by the definition of "singleton".

Originally, I was a bit scared at the prospect of adding delayed attribute initialization to S. However, some more investigation turned up a route that I feel confident with, so I'll try that.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/54FAB1C6.9060605%40durchholz.org.