This has been debated in a variety of emails, issues, pull requests, chats,
and in person over the years. It'd take some time to collect all of those
instances for concise review. There is no one authoritative thread that
reached consensus that I know of. The email from Aaron that I quoted
earlier is the first time it was written down and there were no complaints
on that thread at that time. Thus, it's been the underlying written
guideline now for > 2 years. I'm not sure what has caused it but we've
recently had a resurgence from reviewers requiring contributors to rebase
their PRs (and also to split PRs).

And yes, there are many differences in the projects, and my proposal is
speculation, although we do have some data on contributor comparison among
the main SciPy projects. This issue was brought up at the SymPy BoF at
SciPy because one of the complaints we got during the BoF was from a user
that gave up because he was requested to rebase and he ended up in a git
hole. He hasn't contributed since.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791